Monday, May 11, 2009

'The Thatcher' - process 1



This guy has been re-ridging a thatched cottage round the corner from me on Queen's Street. Re-ridging lasts around 15 -20 years so the earliest he will be returning is in the year 2024.

I am flexing my oil painting fingers for this as I want texture showing in the thatch. It's a small canvas (180 x 125) which was previously painted in blue acrylic paint. I drew directly onto the canvas using vine charcoal working from my thumbnail drawing, removing the unwanted marks using putty rubber, but as you can see by the shadows of my first attempted drawing it is not easy getting the composition right. The under-painting (grissaille) will be in oil using the blue as the mid tone.

Oil paints require drying time so I will be developing other paintings in tandem with this painting.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This is a lovely composition Lorna…I’ve been watching him working on that roof as I wander to and from the allotment…wondered if you might make a subject of him…I like the idea of it being such a small painting too…a little gem and beautifully drawn…you’re off to a great start here :)

9:39 pm  
Blogger SueC said...

Love it. And glad to see you back in oils :-)

10:07 pm  
Blogger Lorna said...

I am glad everyone likes it.

This picture needs to be oil paint but the problem with messy media is that it tends to end up on me. I had the usual charcoal on my face and whilst my apron remains clean I needed to scrub paint off my trousers .

6:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home