Saturday, March 27, 2010

Prep for the exhibition










Well the exhibition for my door series is approaching. So my son came with his big camera and did the quality photography that these canvases needed. These paintings are to be hung in a block according to the rainbow spectrum of colours. It was the first time I had seen them placed in the planned order. They do become something special when seen like this. it would be nice if they were sold as a complete series but reality is that the canvases will be sold individually. I spent hours sweating the 'artist statement' to go with them. I tried to make it personal and reflect the short answer I would give to a client/viewer. I confess that I do not know if it makes sense now.



Statement Edit

'Artist Statement'
The village of Eynsham  is my inspiration. I enjoy painting in series and the 'Eynsham Doors' series of twenty-one paintings is my largest to date.  My starting concept was to produce a body of work based upon the individual doors seen in my part of Eynsham. I decided that this work was to be both allegorical as well as representational. 

When white light is refracted in a rainbow it separates into a continuous spectrum of colour  that is traditionally divided into the bands of colour known as red, orange, yellow, green blue indigo and violet. The white light of the village is divided into canvases themed on rainbow colours and the resulting paintings are tempered by this underlying colour. On an  individual basis these doors are an expression of the boundary between private and public space but grouped here without the bounds of geography they have become something glorious.

Since graduating in 2000 with a 2.1  B.A. honours degree in illustration and graphic design I have been a freelance artist, graphic designer and illustrator.




Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is always amazing how a series can be greater than the sum of its parts. Not that the individual canvases are less than great, but together they ascend to a whole new level.

Where are and when you exhibiting?

4:45 pm  
Blogger Lorna said...

Thank you for your kind words. They are much appreciated. I have now put a poster for the exhibition in the sidebar of this blog.

7:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Lorna. I hope to get there sometime during the week.

11:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home