Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Ashmolean Museum

Lucas Faydherb (1617-1697)
'Omphale'
terracota

Visited the refurbished Ashmolean Museum for the first time today. I was blown away!

I confess that I was worried that they would turn an historic museum into the homogenised exhibition spaces seen in so many refurbished museums these days. The major galleries kept their old character but the lighting and seating have been improved. The newer galleries were clear and easy to see. The new layout of the museum with it's expanded space is reminiscence of the Portrait gallery in London in it's lightness. My only criticism was that I could do with clearer signage within the museum for the galleries and especially for leaving the place ... I got lost. The Shop is still the same; selling overpriced tat which is sad but I suspect needful.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger MortimerBones said...

i went last week - isn't it glorious!

12:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home