Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Underpainting and drawings for SINS

Underpainting and drawings
Click to enlarge

Starting on the left is a Eynsham morris dancer depicting the Archangel Gabriel who has often been depicted as a mortal male. Traditionally he blows a horn to start the end of time and the 'last judgement'. Here he will play the accordion. The sequence for the sinners is lust, sloth, gluttony, envy, pride, greed and wrath.

The plan is for the paintings to go from being tonally light (good) all the way to dark (bad) for wrath. I am surprised at how long it is ... yes I know maths is not one of my strong points. I like painting a series as it allows me to explore all aspects of an idea. Morris dancers are good archetypes for the abstract ideas and I have loads of source photos.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home