Monday, March 31, 2014

Finding Eynsham Wharf on Wharf Stream

I will be posting my interpretation  of the "watergate"  on the Eynsham "Wharf Stream Way" shortly. I have still failed to find a photo or drawing of the Wharf on this stream. However I have been handed a pile of photocopies which "may be of some use"! 

So firstly we have a hand drawn map of the wharf dated 1828.





Then on a cutout of a modern interpretation of the 1828 map.



So lastly is a satalite view of the area with 'wharf stream', 'side stream' and 'inn' marked on it.


This is the closest historical photo I have found of the area showing the bridge over the stream with the Talbot in the background.


I think the interpretation of the wharf will be based in part on a lot of my imagination!




3 Comments:

Blogger The Author said...

This is obviously an earlier bridge (and nicer looking). Do you know the date of the new bridge (I think it might be shown on the side)? And do you know date of photo?

9:00 am  
Blogger Lorna said...

re 'The Author' question.
I think the date on the bridge is 1931 and was built just before the wharf closed. I do not know the date of the photo but would guess by their dresses that it is late 18th or early 19 century. i was given archive material relating to the wharf but little other information. You can find more info here: http://eynsham-pc.gov.uk

9:59 am  
Blogger Lorna said...

Whoops! it should be late 19th or early 20th contrary


10:51 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home